Saturday, October 4, 2008

My story by Myself

Now I am going to do two tasks simultaneously who are opposing in nature, one is the most difficult one and other is the easiest one. The difficult one is to find shortcomings or bad things in your personality and the easiest one is to praise yourself.
As it is obvious I will start with the easiest task. I was born in a middle class family of a medium-sized city near Cholistan (name of dessert) called Bahawalpur in south Punjab. After done with high school I somehow the other landed at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), one of top universities in Pakistan. Though I was one of the top-notch students at school, at least this was what my teachers thought about me and my grades reflected, yet I never thought that I will be the second student from Bahawalpur to enter LUMS after four years from my predecessor. So I must have something to qualify for this honour. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to explain this "something" but I think at that time it was only hard work, dedication and commitment to work, honesty and my parents’ prayers.Life rolled on smoothly at LUMS and I was able to secure a slot in the top 15% of the class and graduated with double majors which is very rare in the university. These four years added many qualities in me and polish the existing ones. Team playing, not to come up with a decision unless a satisfactory analysis is done, ability to handle people relationship especially with the opposite sex (as my whole schooling is from all boys institutions), confidence for public speaking and a lot more exposure of the real world and bigger market are the qualities which I gained from LUMS. Some will argue that these are normal qualities of an exposed student but I think that one should see my background and what I have accomplished during these four years. So I think transition process matters not the state of a thing.
These four years at LUMS gave me so much confidence that I opted for a completely new sector for my profession. You can say that this is because of my entrepreneurial nature. Even there I secured 2nd position in the initial training of four months throught our Pakistan.
The story can go on for another three to four years but I think that qualities which I had till that time made my way quite easy. At job I learned "boss management" and how to manage organizational politics.
Now the hard part I think sometimes I am so stuck in myself that I do not give due consideration to others' point of views. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to change my decisions if I have thought that I am doing the right thing. At that time other people arguments do not seem logical to me but there has been times when I have changed my decision in the light of arguments given by my well wishers.
No matter how hard I tried but there remains a shy "Junaid" in me who has come from Bahawalpur to touch the skies. So at times I am not comfortable with talking with girls or in some other foreign language.

1 comment:

Nebulous said...

I m eagerly waiting to talk in person to you but nothing about competition... just want a first hand view of all the misconceptions that some of us in India have about Pakistan... best of luck... CU in bangalore